Monday, July 16, 2007

HP Tunes

Yesterday, I finally was able to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It was a splendid film and I will not give you "spoilers" on this page, but as I watched I wondered if perhaps I was over thinking my reactions to several things within the movie. Even now, as the website plays its tunes on another firefox tab, I am drawn to some thoughts about the score.

Let me first admit freely that I love John Williams. I am a biased John Williams fan and, in fact, teach a lesson about him every year to my children at school. So needless to say I was a little worried that this particular film score would lose the HP identity. Given the darker nature of the films as they have been made, I was worried that the score would be too scary. Nicholas Hooper has done a marvelous job. Weaving the original Hedwig's theme, by John Williams, into a lush score with a strong string emphasis. There is no shortage of trumpet and trombone fanfare, but he gives a strong showing in orchestrating many difficult aspects of the film. The Professor Umbridge theme is awesome. I love the string and bells oom-pahing their way as she pounds down the hall, awash in pink!

DJU (Dolores Jane Umbridge) is such a great character to me that I shall blog about her in my next post....

For now, a quote from the film: Besides, the world isn't split into good people and death eaters. We have all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the power we chose to act on. That’s who we really are--Sirius Black

1 comment:

Alecia Berman-Dry said...

You offer a perspective I have not yet heard....one on the music. Of course, you would be able to focus upon this being a music teacher, but I simply took it all in as part of a delicious whole. Yet, your post reveals so much more, the thought that must obviously go into designing a comprehensive, all-encompassing whole. I have often thought of the folks that make movies, the ones behind the scenes and how much of their life must necessarily be consumed by the art they are creating at the moment. I am both jealous of that single-mindedness and relieved that I only experience it in short bursts (at work or on projects at home). Have you written music, S?