Thursday, January 10, 2008

Happiness amongst Despair

I am reading a lovely book, "Listening is an Act of Love". It is a compilation of many of the interviews from StoryCorps project. I have several of the transcripts between mothers and grandmothers, aunts and nephews, brothers and sisters, etc. But last night, I read the most beautiful quote as it was transcribed from one of the speakers. It was incredibly appropriate in its timing and I can't help but think that God had his hand in my picking that book that day.

I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.
--Martha Washington


I found this quote to be exactly what I was needing for the day. Rough waters in our daily life can some time lead to rough floods, but if we approach the waters with yellow raft in tow, we are in a much better starting position. So I must be a fully committed participant in my own happiness. I must take into account my own position and my own fault for misery. I must make a point to be cheerful or happy in my situation in order to build a bridge over the waters. (Seriously, what is up with the use of cliche)

Today, a friend told me that I didn't have to be cheerful all the time, that it was ok to show it if I was feeling some other way. In my place of work, I find this hard because I so want to put my best face forward for our children. But nevertheless, I was grateful for this permission of sorts to once in a while not to be the cheeriest of the bunch. It was nice to have a moment in which I was reminded that here, in this place, that I have friendship. He then shared with me a blog I hope to spend some time with -- The Happiness Project I hope you, dear reader of my blog, find it a source of joy or provoked thought for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Casey said...

The website is wonderful! I'm in a similar place, taking permission to not be cheery all the time. Sometimes it's fun and necessary to be mean. I warn Jay before I do it, but I let it out. I warn my students and they're nicer to me when I'm having a 'mean day'.

Let's talk soon!