Wednesday, March 12, 2008

a bit of a rant...excuse me.

Yes, I am a music teacher.
No, I am not a pianist.
Yes, singing is music and it is difficult.
Yes, music education is more than sitting behind a piano and plunking out notes while kids attempt to sing along.

I am a teacher. Well-rounded, employing multi-modal methods which allow diverse learning styles to access music. My students make music, read music, watch music, talk about it, write about it, dance creatively to it, compose it, and enjoy it.

To be told I am anything less than a "real" educator, is offensive.

(Thank you for reading...I'm done ranting now.)

1 comment:

Casey said...

Rant some more! I love to read this stuff. I feel like you do so much more than I can even imagine at this overwhelming phase I'm in, and I'm in awe of you.