Sunday, March 23, 2008

Bread of Life

Today in church it was befitting to sing "I am the Bread of Life" hymn 335 in the Episcopal Hymnal 1982. The text of the music is rather interesting in that it really makes quite clear the meaning of the Eucharist. It makes no bones about the way to the Father. With words like, "unless you eat of the flesh of the Son of Man and drink of his Blood, you shall not have life within you" this is a very serious piece from a theological standpoint.

But it is the chorus of the piece that always moves me. No matter where I am or where I sing it, as the congregation breaks into the harmonies, I am moved to tears in the promise that God has made to us. It is particularly moving when I am surrounded by those whom I love, the first time I sang it at my new church, on my wedding day, or whenever I am with my Mom, who sings just about as loud as I do.

"And I will raise them up, and I will raise them up, and I will raise them up on the last day."

This piece reminds me, even in the darkest of times, that God is our hope. That when we come to God, broken, afraid, or empty, that He will fulfill all of our needs. And on the glorious day of resurrection, we will sit with Him at the table.

Happy Easter dear Reader. May this day find you in a place of peace and be a reminder to you, wherever you are on your faith journey, that you are never alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But not nearly as high or as beautifully! Love you! Perhaps we might talk about those words one day - I have my own thoughts about them. Mom

Anonymous said...

I can't remember my password, that's why it's anonymous!