Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Where do we stand in the digital divide?

As part of my World Village boot camp last week at school, we watched this video. As I watched it, at age 30, I found myself feeling very divided. I feel as though I am not completely a digital immigrant, but I also don't see myself as a native. I feel as though I am an adapter floating the tip of the conceptual age wave, yet at the same time, I'm close enough to the sand of the previous age that I can manage effectively between the two. I feel really blessed by this but at the same time, terribly conflicted. I often hear digital immigrants complaining about natives and calling them lazy or unfocused. When I was growing up, this was called ADD. But now, I see myself relating so well to the "kids" who process information quickly and are in constant need of stimulation (thanks to my classmate who used this word today, it totally fits). Perhaps what was diagnosed as mild ADD was really just an advanced ability to process information? Wishful thinking, I know, but the next time you encounter a kid connected to his texting or constantly checking her facebook, remember what you see below.

Peace.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whew! I am so out of date! I do try, and sometimes I succeed in this stuff.... I'm glad you are able to do it and are willing to help me. Mom