Sunday, April 6, 2008

different sense of pride

Yesterday was a banner day at my PT job selling awesome running shoes. It was the busiest Saturday I have seen since starting the job. I feel like we made a lot of people really happy yesterday and I was pretty proud that I worked two families at a time at one point.

As much as working a 9 hour day on my "day off" from school is tough on my energy, I'm so happy working this job. It challenges my brain in a new way as I diagnose the feet, gait, and needs of our customers. It is a steep learning curve as I learn the ins-and-outs of all of the intricacies of shoes. It provides both a momentary diversion from life and gives me a sense of accomplishment. I love that this shop serves the community. I love the community both of runners and of the average Jane's and Joe's that come in for their first pair. It is awesome.

Yesterday in the shop we had a nice chat with a gentleman who had the pleasure of working for Mr. Rouse. I think the environment in the shop yesterday was a great example of Mr. Rouse's vision for Columbia. All walks of life, coming together to a small business to obtain their needs. Shopkeepers who are knowledgeable, friendly, and who take the time to serve the community. I hope that had he been there in the shop with us yesterday, he would have been proud.

2 comments:

Esmerelda said...

Niiiice. I think you're very helpful. It's nice to see a friendly face when my feet hurt!

Esmerelda said...

Niiiice. I think you're very helpful. It's nice to see a friendly face when my feet hurt!