Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

I am going to serve as a drama/reading coach this summer at our school's academic camp. We started planning our curriculum last week and it was suggested that we might use the Kate DiCamillo book The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane as our read-aloud book selection. So last night I settled onto the couch to read this youth fiction book. The text size was large but I still thought the 150+ page book would take a while.

Immediately upon opening the pages I was encompassed in the story of the china rabbit and his journey from selfishness to caring, from despair to hope, and his understanding of love. The pages turned very quickly as I took Edwards multiple-year journey in the matter of an hour. I found myself weeping as the rabbit learned to love and his journey of many years was safely ended in the arms of a loving child.

Upon finishing the book, I felt a deep awareness of my sadness. I found myself missing my favorite terrier more than I had in a long time. I desperately longed to pet him as we cuddled on the couch. I felt like there was a giant hole in my heart in a way that Edward Tulane may have felt, but didn't realize until he sat in wait as part of his journey. I can only hope that in time, like Edward, that all of the sadness and pain of the journey will come to pass and hope and love will be on the other side.

A fantastic read for all ages. A wonderful read-aloud for young children, particularly those experiencing change or loss. A good private read for adults who are in need of a reminder of a the redeeming power of love.

Peace.

No comments: