Friday, June 27, 2008

the rest of the day.

I tried to use my rest time wisely today. As it was 90 degrees and thick outside, I ventured to the school fitness center for a treadmill time. Alas, I was quite disappointed to see that the treadmills dated to about 1985, but thought I would take a whirl anyway. I managed a nice clip 9 minute pace for 3 miles. This felt quite nice but boredom sunk in...so I ventured to the track for a change of scenery and a chance to work on self-pacing. I have been without a consistently-working Garmin for over a year and I think that on one level it has helped me reduce my obsession with time/pace/distance but....it has also meant that I have gotten slower and run shorter as a result. So, I did some track work to see if my metronome (as Mick used to say) was still working. I didn't want to do speed work, just pacing. So I set my goal on 8 min/mi (2:00min/lap) and managed to go spot on for two miles with a water break in the middle since it was hotter than the seventh layer of H*&^ outside.

I have been amazed at how well I have been running/biking since I've been here. I have felt energized, have not had a lot of aches and pains, and was particularly pleased with my biking 20 miles this week. I am certainly not getting enough sleep, but what I am getting (duh) is really nutritious food. I think I have underestimated the power that food has played in my athletic performance. The consistent consumption of A. healthy food and B. enough food is critical to my health. Now, if only I could have a private chef cooking two meals a day for me from local, organic, and non-processed ingredients....oh wait...I just woke up. But certainly there must be a way for me to make truly healthy meals for one??? I think the key is diversity. We have not repeated a single dish at lunch and dinner in all of the time here. Every meal has at least one protein. Every meal has multiple vegetables and we have had potatoes as a starch only sparingly. Ah ha! So all those books I've read on performance nutrition are actually true.... Ok, broccoli, spinach, red peppers, barley, here I come.

Oh yes, I mentioned a little something about Jack Johnson. I have blogged a lot about Sara Groves and the impact she has made on me, but today I found a new song that really helped me process where my brain needs to consider going. It is not there yet and I'm not saying I want to go there, but I should consider it. If you have the chance..."Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" by Jack Johnson. While you're at it, check out his songs from the Curious George soundtrack, they'll just make you happy.

Tonight there is no homework so I shall rest before gearing up at 8am tomorrow for "Critical Friends Group". We just had the plenary session describing the protocol for it. Yes, I am officially scared. As Nigel says in The Devil Wears Prada, "All right everybody, gird your loins!" (I love Stanley Tucci)....

Good Night dear reader. God Bless You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to say, I am somewhat exhausted attempting to keep up with this schedule you all are keeping. Thank you for your fascinating blogs that keep me in touch with your interesting experiences! Can we hire a chef to feed all our disparate households??? I know what to eat - I just don't manage to do it more than once or twice a week.... Love you, Mom